Jane and Chris talk about building authority as a freelancer in order to generate work, how to enjoy marketing activities, and productized consulting.
ARE YOUR CLIENTS HOLDING YOU BACK?
Every $100K freelancer knows how to overcome the 5 most common problem clients that eat up time, energy and profits – do you?
If not, learn how to overcome these toxic clients and get on the road to smaller headaches and larger profits! Sign up today for a free 5-part e-mail course.
Mastering Ad Presentation
– too broad
– not focused on any certain audience or use case
– didn’t make any money
– it opened doors, just being known as an author
I think we are under-appreciating referrals
– but it’s not THAT magical
Be brave enough to charge higher fees
Wrote a book to build authority
– the most indirect connection
– could send book to clients
– building relationships
Patrick McKenzie – how I became a $500k consultant
– need to bring business value
– big investment
Dennis Field helped make a deal w InVision
– not much money, but tons of credibility
The same skills a software founder uses are similar to the skills a freelancer uses
– inspired by Nick DiSabato
– reverse-engineered his sales page
– capturing a trend
– started a monthly consulting
– easy to get burnt out
– organizational overhead
Productivity & burnout
– waking up early (IF you can)
– productivity comes in waves
– know your working style
– juggle your obligations in a way that fits your style
* I don’t say I’m shipping on a certain date
* don’t beat yourself up or get stressed out
– productized services; quote a week or two
Leveling up is a complex of different things
– 20% consulting & 80% promoting
The opportunity to turn down work is powerful!
It helps to enjoy the marketing activities
– I like writing articles
– I like podcasting
– I like writing emails
Time & repetition make you better, both technically and as a human being
Ask for help early!