Matt and Chris talk about beginner marketing wins for new freelancers, why content marketing is NOT a beginner move, how to make sure you’re connecting with decision-makers, and getting repeat work
ARE YOUR CLIENTS HOLDING YOU BACK?
Every $100K freelancer knows how to overcome the 5 most common problem clients that eat up time, energy and profits – do you?
If not, learn how to overcome these toxic clients and get on the road to smaller headaches and larger profits! Sign up today for a free 5-part e-mail course.
To hear another conversation between Matt & Chris, listen to Episode 72 of the Freelance Transformation podcast.
Content marketing is not for beginners!
Non-scalable activities that offer feedback are for beginners. These are beginner marketing wins.
Getting started vs scaling:
- Content marketing = scaling move
- Not much feedback; if an ad doesn’t work, I don’t know how far off I am
Starter activities should optimize for feedback:
- 1 on 1 talk
- Start with your own network
- Pitch intros as a research project, not as a sales pitch
- Nobody wants to subject their friends to a sales pitch
- Have those convos to determine if the problem you want to solve is a real problem
- Events, cold outreach
The keep your network growing prescription:
- Chamber meetings
- good for small biz
- Not many enterprise-level decision makers
- Local events
- User groups
- Conferences specific to the industry you’re targeting
Must have people skills in order to break in to the conversation.
Get to the decision-maker.
Don’t expect a sale right away:
- Pivot; can you get contact info? Can you send them email?
Once you have clients from your network, how do you sustain a practice
You have to be selling something that CAN be a recurring/repeat sale:
- Look at your pricing & profitablity
- Look at the kind of sale you’re making
- Repeat vs one-off work
- Can you climb the value ladder (ex. go from logo > branding > brand strategy)?
- Check in w clients once per quarter
- Act like the expert you are
- Have a regular dialogue w clients
- How can I support you & create value?
- You CANNOT wait for the client to call
- Get each client on a call once x quarter
- Evaluate goals & results
Beginner marketing wins are usually non-scalable activities.